Clint & Phil Damuth
Business Name: Damuth Trane
President's Name: Clint Damuth
President's Title: President & General Manager
What are your business's core values, goals, and overall mission?
The mission of Damuth Trane is to be our client’s long-term provider of comfort solutions for a safe and healthy building environment.
We make buildings work better for life – want to work with clients from the beginning to the end of the life cycle of a building.
The following principles will be followed in pursuit of our mission (our “Business Values”)
- The client will be given the best possible service
- Excellence and superior performance will be pursued
- The individual will be respected
- Client partnering and intracompany teamwork are the keys to our success
Our “People Values” are:
- Treat others with uncompromising truth
- Lavish trust on your associates
- Mentor unselfishly
- Be receptive to new ideas, regardless of origin
- Take personal risks for the organization’s sake
- Give credit where it’s due
- Do not touch dishonest dollars
- Put the interest of others before your own
Our ‘Company Playbook’ or how we do business asks:
Why do we exist? - We are people helping people grow personally and professionally.
How do we behave?
- We foster and advance our culture of safety.
- We do the right thing for our clients, company and associates.
- We provide industry leading client experiences.
How will we succeed?
- Hire, develop and retain the best people in the business.
- Develop valued relationships with our associates, clients, business partners and community.
- Sustain a culture of high performance.
- Deliver the best client experience.
Share some unique facts and business history? What makes your business stand out?
- Our business started in 1970 – this is our 50th anniversary!
- Damuth Trane is family owned and operated.
- Don Damuth, the company’s founder, joined Trane in 1961 after serving in the Marine Corps in Okinawa, Japan.
- Don purchased the local Trane commercial franchise in 1970 and the first office was in Virginia Beach, VA.
- His son, Clint Damuth, became President/General Manager in 2003 after more than 15 years in the business, and subsequently franchise holder in 2016.
- We have grown from nine original employees to a team of 212 that occupies a 50,000 square foot facility and three parts stores (Virginia Beach, Chesapeake, and Newport News).
- We employ more than 200 professionals, including over 80 specialized service and controls technicians and 9 Certified Energy Managers.
- We train our clients on the latest industry standards and best practices.
- We continue to invest in the resources, education, people, and technology to help build the Hampton Roads region, contribute to the industry, and give back to the local community.
- We proudly serve the community through volunteer projects, donations, sponsorships, and board representation.
- Damuth Trane has several corporate volunteer initiatives for their associates to participate in throughout the year. These include volunteering for the Hampton Roads St. Jude Spring Fling, Special Love’s Tidewater Family Weekend, participating in both the annual United Way of South Hampton Roads’ Day of Caring in September and the Volunteer Hampton Roads Family Volunteer Day in November (various projects), as well as assembling care packages each holiday season to be donated to a local assisted living home.
What products or services do you offer companies or individuals?
Damuth Trane is a professional energy services company that specializes in providing building solutions to clients through the sale of HVAC equipment, controls, parts, service, and energy solutions.
Our client list throughout two Virginia regions (Hampton Roads and Eastern Shore), Northeast North Carolina and Bermuda includes K-12 schools, higher education facilities, hospitals, federal and municipal government buildings, commercial buildings, and industrial facilities.
Our three Parts & Supplies locations have the largest inventory of Trane OEM parts and other HVAC supplies in the region. Damuth Services, Inc. is a Virginia SWaM-Certified Small Business.
What are the greatest obstacles and/or challenges that your business has faced? How have you and your business overcome them?
The ability to adapt to the changing market and diversify the products and services offered has helped our company continue to expand.
- The company started out selling Trane commercial, residential, and industrial equipment. We opened our service and parts businesses starting in 1974 to expand our offerings to clients.
- In the 80s, we created our Building Automation Team in response to the need for more energy efficient systems (due to the oil shortage in the late 70s). We also delved more into new construction as the building market expanded.
- In the 90s, we added turnkey projects to our contracting capabilities to serve existing buildings in need of new and/or more efficient systems. As buildings continued to age, we offered services to clients to manage their energy usage and costs.
- We were known 50 years ago for our HVAC Systems knowledge, and that remains a core skill in the Damuth Trane organization. But what has been growing even faster is our reputation as a professional energy services company.
- We are connected to over 400 buildings. We monitor and consult with our clients on their energy bills which exceed $30M annually. We provide data collection and real-time insights into how a building is performing
- We even help our clients purchase energy more economically; thus have the ability to help them best manage their purchase and usage in their facilities.
- We achieve this through Global Resources with a Local Presence. Our relationship to our business partners combined with very talented and dedicated local staff.
- When there is a problem with comfort, reliability or energy consumption, BIG DATA might help us get more information, much faster; but it still takes a local engineer or technician with local knowledge and local connections to validate and make sound business recommendations.
What accomplishments are you most proud of?
- In 2001, we were the first commercial building in Hampton Roads to achieve an ENERGY STAR Certification.
- We have been voted one of the Best Places to Work in Virginia for 10 consecutive years, which is awarded by Virginia Business and based on survey results from our own associates.
- In 2018, we launched a 4-year state-registered HVAC Apprenticeship Program
- In 2018, we became a Virginia Values Veterans (V3) certified company
- In 2019, Damuth Trane received a Platinum Award (second to the highest tier) from ABC-VA’s Safety Training and Evaluation Process program.
- In 2019, we entered into the Virginia CHALLENGE program in partnership with Virginia OSHA. Currently, we are in Phase 1 of 3. This program will help us increase the effectiveness of our safety & health management system and allow us to apply for the national VPP STAR recognition.
What do you see for the future of your business?
In the future, we foresee advances in Building Automation Systems, Technology, Energy Services, and growth in our portfolio. Both Trane corporate and Damuth Trane continue to invest beyond controls, automation and energy management.
- To continue to succeed we have to keep listening to our clients and provide the best service possible, delivering both value and a great experience for them.
- Because of that imperative, we have embarked on a journey called The Damuth Trane 5-Star experience. Our goal is to consistently deliver a 5-star experience for our clients and associates.
- We are currently focused on building our Intelligent Building Services offerings, which use data, our expertise, and technology to optimize building performance.
- Our business is now a business of technology. The buildings we service are highly connected; data is plentiful yet complex. Our clients now depend on us to work inside their IT networks. Therefore, have been investing to ensure our building professionals have the training, experience and certifications to work in a “Cyber Safe” manor.
Why are you a member of the Hampton Roads Chamber?
Damuth Trane seeks to be involved with our local economy by helping to grow and encourage other businesses in the area. As a Trustee-Level supporter of the Hampton Roads Chamber of Commerce and board member for the Chesapeake and Virginia Beach chapters, our company can be a part of different community-enriching activities such as teaching business skills to students to raise up the future generation of business leaders. Our president Clint Damuth was a member of the Hampton Roads Chamber of Commerce CEO Nominating Committee, which was instrumental in selecting their current CEO, Bryan Stephens.
To our company, community impact means that we are using our organization’s funds, talents and gifts to enrich our region, as well as help where we have the talent, passion and ability to do so. It means that we are getting our people involved, providing awareness of all the needs and opportunities that are out there; and then giving them a platform and the tools to serve where they are passionate. This could be anything from sitting on a board of directors, to participating in fun events that raise money and awareness for a cause.
We encourage our senior leaders to get plugged into the region through local leadership development programs such as LEAD Hampton Roads, and the Civic Leadership Institute, of which many are graduates.
We aim to be a beacon in the community and encourage other businesses to make an impact as well through leading by example.